Monday, November 28, 2011

Commonly Used Phrases that Reveals a Lack of Trust in God

From generation to generation, many things are passed down. We see family heirlooms, recipes, and traditions passed down often. However, more than those things, old phrases and cliches gets top of the list of things that are passed down from generation to generation. These phrases & cliches can be from just jive talk to religious jargon.  Generations pick up what they hear and say it, never really examining what is being said. Today I want to examine a few commonly used phrases and cliche to reveal what is really being said. You will find that these phrases and cliche, often times exposes a lack of trust in God. 

First we must remember what God says about the power of speaking words. 

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Proverbs 13:3 Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.






"God knows my heart"

This one is a popular excusal phrase that we hear very often. This phrase is often said either when we didn't do our best or did nothing at all, as way to excuse ourselves of not operating at the capacity in which was required of us. We may even say this one when something is required of us that we feel is obsurd, or don't make sense to us.  Indeed, God most definitely does know our hearts. He knows rather or not we put Him first and when we diligently want to do His will.  I would like to caution on this one, especially when there was no real intent on doing what was/is required of us. Many times this phrase is said when we are aware of what is required of us and other times when we are ignorant of the requests. If we know what we are supposed to do and we fall short of doing it - well that's called sin (James 4:17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.) Instead of saying "God knows my heart", we should be asking for forgiveness and then repenting. Because we are human we are not perfect, however we have the power of the Holy Spirit at work in us and empowering us. If we are indeed believers in the Word of God and Jesus Christ we should be operating on nothing less than excellence. It should be our goal everyday to meet our goals, and go over an beyond what is required. Then when we say "God knows my heart", we say it with the knowledge of our actions proving that our heart's intentions was to carry out the task given to us. 

"I'm only human"

I think this one is the most popular excusal phrase. Much like "God knows my heart", "I'm only human" is usually heard after not meeting up w/ requirements. While I must agree you are only human, if you were born on planet earth to two homo-sapiens. However, and I do mean however! If you are a born again believer, you have the power of Holy Spirit working in you. This same power in you raised Christ from the dead. Now if that power can raise a Man from the grave, what's our problem? Could it be that we don't believe that same power is harnessed inside of us? If we don't believe that we carry this same power we won't use it either.  In my opinion, "I'm only human" is slap to God's face. Simply because, His only begotten Son in all of His righteousness died just to give us this power. Again as I have already stated, no one is perfect, but we most definitely have been called to be holy. If you don't think you can, Jesus released His Spirit so that we may take up His righteousness. We can believe God for cars, homes, but very seldom do we believe God for the Righteoness His Son died to give us so that we may see Him.

"I gotta do what I gotta do"

This one is often heard when we are under pressure or in a bind. We say this when we have to make quick decisions, or we can't seem to find our way out of things. Not always, but often said when we would rather take matters into our own hand versus waiting to see the salvation of the Lord. This one, can scream "I don't trust God to work on my behalf" or "I don't wanna do what is right but I have no other choice". This one isn't always said out of a lack of trust. Yet, this is actually a statement that can get us to recognize what kind of mind set we are in. Quickly, we may be convicted for wanting to move without God, or we may be able to rejoice for wanting to remain obedient. Which ever way just make sure you know what reason you bellowing out this phrase. 


In closing, while these commonly used phrase are always readily available in our vernacular, we must also be able to speak a Word over ourselves and our circumstances.
Instead of saying "God knows my heart", we can most definitely pray Psalms 139:23-24 Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Instead of saying "I'm only human", say Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives me strength. Lastly, read a little further down in Philippians chapter 4. Instead of saying "I gotta do what I gotta do" for things that will not line up with His Word, Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all of your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.


No more excuses! In, 2012 lets be more intentional about living in excellence, representing the Body of Christ effectively, living righteously as well living in full faith that God will do what He has promised us. 


God Bless,


Rofasho




No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Badge